keithforum.com

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:10 pm 

A year ago. I bought this trailer from a sawmill that had been used to haul sawdust, chips, mulch and the likes. It was in rough shape but, the price was right. I have had some issues with the front of the trailer being weak and needing attention. I used the trailer last fall to haul seed corn with a couple of issue that I had to have dealt with in the field. I muttled thru the problems and got thru the season without and serious issues. The upper coupler plate area was obviously weak and was flexing quite a bit. The trailer would sag to the right several inches and get into the drive tires easily in the right situations. In the last few days. We have removed the front crossmembers from the dollies forward and the upper coupler assembly. The trailer obviously suffered from severe abuse,frequent overloading, and basically NO maintanance. In the next week or so to come we will be rebuilding the front end.And investing a large amount of time and materials in the repairs. It has a Running Floor II installed. The floor does not use the T-blocks for guides to run on. It uses 1"x1" square tubing and what appears to be the 3003 bearing... Numerous of the 1"x1" tubes are rotted out and will be replaced also within 10' or less of the front. I can't find anything about these floors using the 1"x1" steel tubing... Was this the normal material with this floor from that vintage. I am also in need of probably a dozen of those bearings. What is an approx. cost @ for them and are they a widely stocked item? I would take it that I will need to purchase them from Ferguson Farms in Leesburg, IN..... The trailer had been butchered in the repair area to try and just scab it to get along with the lean situation. When we cut all of the "junk" loose that had been added over time. The trailer squared itself right back up within fractions of an inch. Sorry so long! Just found this form and thought I would post... CPS Trailers seem to be somewhat rare...??? I do know after buying this one that an FRP trailer is alot heavier that an aluminum one. Mine is somewhat of a lead sled.... Thanks All!!!.... In KW Trucker 8-)

86 J&L Grain Hopper/Tank
78 Ravens 42'x96" Flat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:55 am 
KEITH®engineer

KW.

1x1 tubing is actually still the standard sub-deck that is used in nearly all of our WALKING FLOOR systems.
If you could E-mail me your contact info I will have one of our sale reps send you a list of local dealers where you can get the bearings and any other parts that you need. If you have any other problems, let us know!

Steve Krause
Engineer
skrause@keithwalkingfloor.com
1-800-547-6161
541-475-3802

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:27 pm 

Thanks Steve!!!!

I just sent you an email....

KW....

86 J&L Grain Hopper/Tank
78 Ravens 42'x96" Flat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:00 pm 
KEITH®service

Hi Hoss,

Tom here, saw your post. Thought I would ask you a couple of questions on that loose upper coupler plate you mentioned. Is that on the drive unit? Or is it in the bulkhead area?
I have known Bob Ferguson for years. When you go looking for parts Bob will have them. http://www.fergusonfarms.com/

Tom Doggett

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:43 pm 

Hi Tom!

It is the upper coupler plate of the trailer where the king pin is. Where the tractor hooks up... I ordered some of the plastic bearings from Bob today... Should have them on Monday.... I hope..??? I am hoping this project will be wrapped up by the end of next week... Doubtfull but, it might go into early in the following week.... I will be going to Fort Wayne on Monday to pick up more steel to finish it up... It really hasn't been as bad of a project as I expected so far - really.. I thought to get to the point that we are at right now would take us minimum of 5-6 days and we are at the end of the 3rd day and quit at 2:00pm (Didn't start 'til 10:00am either)today to come home and get our garden tractors ready for our pulls this weekend... Both a Sat. & a Sun. pull... Doubleheader up in Mich. this weekend. Well anyways - I might try and take some pics. of the U/C plate that we took out and actually maybe the trailer in stages too and post them... So I have high hopes of getting it completed by the end of this coming week and I hope that it goes as easy as it has so far... Thanks for the post Tom! Hoss....

86 J&L Grain Hopper/Tank
78 Ravens 42'x96" Flat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:17 am 
KEITH®service

Hoss,

good to hear from you. Keep us posted on the repair. How is the wear on the slats? May be a good time to turn them around if they are worn at the rear.

Tom Doggett

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:51 am 

Good Morning Tom and all!

Well, the end of the week finish is not a reality now.. My help had to do something yesterday and today and I didn't get to get the steel and things picked up in Ft. Wayne either. My youngest started school today. So I kept her yesterday and had one of my oldest come home sick from school too. So that shot the day and I am hoping to get to Ft.Wayne today yet...??? I don't know though... It's getting late and time is slipping by quick for today too. The slats all look good and have had wear plates added to them at the back to prolong the turn around time. I am getting anxious to get this done... The friend that I have helping me has his own garage and things have been slow for him but, when work does come along - he of course has to do his own thing too. I wouldn't expect anything less. I will keep things updated as I can and as far as pictures. I see that I cannot post any pictures. So I won't be using them on here then.

Hoss...

86 J&L Grain Hopper/Tank
78 Ravens 42'x96" Flat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:18 am 
Site Admin

Hi Hoss,

The KEITH®forum was intended to allow the posting of pictures, but I forgot to turn that option on! It should work now.

Below the section where you enter your message, you should see a section called "Upload attachment". Use the "Browse" button to select the picture on your computer, enter a description (if you wish) in the "File comment" field, then click "Add the file".

The picture will be uploaded and another section will appear called "Posted attachments", showing the files you have already uploaded. The "Upload attachment" will be cleared and ready for another picture.

Thanks for contributing on the forum. We look forward to seeing your project in progress!

P.S. Garden Tractor Pulling pictures are also welcome! ;)

Attachments:
File comment: This is the KEITH® V-FLOOR® logo.
vf_header.gif
vf_header.gif [ 7.96 KiB | Viewed 13098 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:17 pm 
KEITH®service

Great!!! Now we can look at those pictures. Hoss, please send the pictures of your trailer when you get a chance. Talk to you later.

Tom Doggett

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:17 pm 

Hello All!

Here's a picture of my pulling tractor from last year that my mom took in Topeka, IN. on July 4th.... I need to go get a grip on the digital camera and take some pics. and get them on here... We got all of the 1x1 squares that were rotted replaced today and the 1 1/2" square on the pass. side that was rotted in the front about 3' back replaced today. And got the bearings installed too. I wish that Bob would have sent me the 60 instead of 50... I am about 10 or so short and I don't have time to wait on them or go and get them and to be terribly honest... My budget for this repair has gone way out of my line and things are beginning to get really tight in the pocket book. I wish that I could come up with 10 or 12 more. I know that they don't cost alot but, I am down to cents here now to get the rest of the steel to complete it and I have that hydraulic hose to get yet too... I have another $500+ in steel to get yet and pay the welder for doing his job for a couple of days worth of welding to actually put it together. I realized today that I bought more of some of the steel already than I will need and that kinda hurts me too.... I hate to sound poor here but, I guess that the truth hurts and thats the way it is.... It's been a really slow summer for work for me and that hasn't made it any better either. Enough of my sob story here. The floor looks pretty good -compared to what it did before. I will try to get some pics. as soon as I can of the trailer in stages. I was trying to put my own avatar in too and that is not an option either. If that could be looked into too. That would be great.
Thanks! Hoss....

Attachments:
PrecisionGuesswork2-thumb.jpg
PrecisionGuesswork2-thumb.jpg [ 9.1 KiB | Viewed 13079 times ]

86 J&L Grain Hopper/Tank
78 Ravens 42'x96" Flat

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next