keithforum.com

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:33 pm 

I have a Ford F450 truck with a dump bed. We have a nursery so think a walking floor would be a better way to unload container stock, ball and burlap trees, soil and bark. The outside measurement of the existing dump bed is 8 feet wide and 12 feet long. My preference is to have the current dump bed removed and a walking floor 8 feet wide and 10 feet long with 4 foot sides, front and back, to be designed and built by Keith and installed on the original cab and chassis frame. I think your new small drive unit would do the job. Is this something you can tackle?
John

p.s. Navigating this forum page, figuring out how to post etc. is harder than it should be.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:06 pm 
KEITH®president

Hi John,
You have a great idea. As you probably know, there are problems with a dump bed trucks on uneven ground, under trees and overhead utility lines. Your situation is perfect for a horizontal unloading system such as our WALKING FLOOR® unloader. How many tons do you expect to unload? How many times per day or week? How many gallons of oil per minute does your truck pump? At what pressure? We have pressure and oil flow requirements for our hydraulic drive units.

We have series of small size unloading systems called the M-SERIES. Below are the links to brochures about the choices available to you.

http://www.keithwalkingfloor.com/kmd175_drive.html
http://www.keithwalkingfloor.com/docume ... MD_SAE.pdf

Generally our dealers install these systems. This is a new product use and dealers may not be available in your location. You can contact us about dealers or suggestions for you.

I hope this helps. Is there more we can do for you?

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:30 pm 

Thank you for your prompt reply. The truck is not in daily use. Ours is a seasonal business. When we need, it we need it. The normal load would be in the 3 to 4 ton range. As to the existing system...I would expect to re-sell the dump bed and pump and would like a new system... both for the bed itself with a walking floor and the properly sized pump system to operate the floor.

Without the dump bed, the cab and chassis is a standard Ford product with two main steel channels that support the rear tires and drive train. There are any number of truck bed manufacturers out there that make standard wood or steel floor truck beds. I would have more confidence in the total package if you put it all together and could provide some type of warrantee. I would think that your facilities could make the complete walking floor bed, frame and sides that could be bolted to the chassis. Another thought would be to work with Dan and Roberta to build the bed frame to your specs and you put it together with the floor and install it on the truck?

I have to think there must be a lot of folks out there who have a medium duty truck who would like a more controlled way to unload than the standard dump.

John

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:25 pm 
KEITH®president

Hi John,

It sounds like you have a great plan for your nursery and farm business.

I suggest that our KMD-175 unloading system is the best choice for you based on the truck size and tons you plan to haul.

You can load and unload your container stock, ball and burlap trees, and other nursery stock from the end of your truck with this system. No worries about dumping or damaging your nursery stock during the unloading process. You can haul a variety of bulk materials such as compost, barkdust, soil, manure, sand,feed for live stock, straw and hay as well as palletize nursery stock. I think it will save you a lot of time. Another interesting option is a remote control for the load and unload function.

Regarding the wet kit, we can look at what your truck already has versus what you need. Another possibility is a small engine and pump unit to go with the unloading system. If this is a direction you want to go and you want us to help, call us and we can discuss the right course of action for you in more detail. We will need to discuss your truck bed walls, floor style and frame.

We would be glad to get your started when you are ready. Thanks,

Mark